WILMINGTON, OH – Freshman Clara Blaine (Lebanon, OH/Lebanon) and freshman Hannah Gratsch (Milford, OH/Milford) both scored three goals in route to a loss against the Hiram Terriers, 18-9, Saturday in non-conference action.
HOW IT HAPPENED
• Wilmington came out strong in the first period scoring five goals including two from Blaine. Wilmington went up early in the first with a 2-0 lead, but Hiram came storming back with four straight goals. Wilmington answered again by scoring three out of the next four goals to make the game 5-5. With less than a minute left in the first period Hiram answered once again with scoring two consecutive goals to put them up 7-5 at the half.
• Hiram came out strong in the second period scoring 11 goals. Wilmington traded goals in the first five minutes of the second period, but not before Hiram scored eight straight in a ten minute stretch pushing the lead to 17-7. Wilmington finished the game by notching two more goals, but that was not enough to overcome the ten point deficit.
• The top offensive performers of the evening for Wilmington were Blaine with three goals on six shots, Gratsch with three goals on six shots, and freshman Rachel Reinhart (Hilliard, OH/Hilliard Davidson) with two goals on six shots.
• Defensively, junior Kara Griffith (Springfield, OH/Springfield) led the way causing three turnovers, while Gratsch and junior Kelly Angevine (Reading, OH/Reading) both picked up two ground balls.
• Sophomore goalie, Megan Wieloch(Canton, MI/Plymouth) allowed 18 goals while totaling seven saves on the afternoon.
• "Today we took better care of the ball and offensively we played very well in the first half," said Coach Bree Galloway.
• "We have seen constant improvements throughout the season in different aspects of the game and today our transition was that aspect. We now need to focus on putting all of those things together for a full sixty minutes if we want to be successful," said Coach Galloway.
Wilmington (1-4) returns to action 6:00 p.m. Thursday, March 23rd, competing at home against the Franklin Grizzlies in non-conference action.