The Wilmington College women's lacrosse team raced out to an early lead, and never trailed, in recording the 16-5 victory over Trine in non-conference action on Townsend Field in Williams Stadium.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Senior Rachel Routzong (Urbana, OH/Urbana) scored three of Wilmington's first five goals as the Fightin' Quakers raced out to a 5-0 lead. Routzong scored the goals on just three shots, her only shot attempts of the game.
- Wilmington led 8-1 at the half.
- Three other Wilmington players – seniors Stephanie Belz (Gahanna, OH/Lincoln), Abby Jude (Lancaster, OH/Fairfield Union) and Loryn Bryson (Carlisle, OH/Carlisle) – all scored three goals for Wilmington.
- Belz and Jude dished out an assist each. Belz also had a team-high eight draw controls.
- Three of WC's goals were on free position shots as the Fightin' Quakers went 3-for-10 in those opportunities. Trine was 2-for-8 in its free position attempts.
- Sophomore Becca Petra (Liberty Township, OH/Lakota East) was the only other player with multiple goals, scoring twice.
- Senior Katie Bennett, 2-5 (Newport, OH/Frontier) recorded 11 saves on 15 shots in 38:41 of action. Sophomore Whitney Brofford (Marysville, OH/Marysville) tallied five saves on six shots in 21:19.
- Wilmington finished with 26 ground balls, while the Thunder tallied only nine.
Wilmington (2-5) travels to Crestview Hills, KY to face Thomas More 5 p.m. Wednesday in non-conference action.