CEDARVILLE, Ohio- The Wilmington College Cross Country teams competed Saturday at Cedarville University's Friendship Invitational. Injury and illness kept Wilmington from competing with a full field in either the Men's or Women's event. Even without a full roster, the men took eighth out of the ten competing teams. The women, however, only fielded two runners, neither of whom scored for the Quakers.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Junior Rick Pride was Wilmington's first finisher. He finished 66th in the 8k race with a time of 29:21.
- Freshman Cameron Phelps (Cincinnati, OH/Princeton) clocked in next for the Quakers in 78th at 30:06.
- Junior Cameron Erwin (South Vienna, OH/Northeastern), Sophomore Matt Baker (Liberty Center, OH/Liberty Center), and Junior Tony Wydra (Miamisburg, OH/Miamisburg) finished 81st, 83rd, and 85th respectively.
- Freshman Allison Helmke (Defiance, OH/Tinora) was Wilmington's top finisher, clocking in for the 5k race in 22:39 which put her in 89th place.
- Senior Stephanie Fetters (West Milton, OH/Milton-Union), the women's only other runner for the day, finished 102nd.
HEAD COACH QUOTES
- "The result today was not what the team wanted. We rested some people today because of injuries and sickness, but we still felt like we would be more competitive than we were. It was a tough field, I think we were [one of] the only Division III [teams] in the race. Our team is just focused now on getting ready to train hard the next two weeks and race well in Louisville."
- Both teams will compete at the Louisville Classic in Louisville, KY on October 1.