GRANVILLE – The Wilmington College men's soccer team allowed early goals in each half, and fell to the Denison Big Red, 4-0, in non-conference action Tuesday at Piper Stadium.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Denison got on the board in the first half with a goal in the eleventh minute.
- Much like the first half, the Big Red scored 11 minutes into the second half to double their advantage. The hosts continued the scoring barrage with a goal in the 73rd minute and another one in the 81st minute.
- The Big Red kept the offensive pressure on Wilmington for the entire 90 minutes launching 22 shots, while WC managed just five. DU finished with 12 shots on goal.
- Junior Niklas Martensson (Torna Hallestad, Sweden / NTI) and sophomore Roman Kirschner (Opava, Czech Republic / Mendel's Grammar School) managed the only shots on goal in the defeat.
- Wilmington played without freshman Willie Winald (Asa, Sweden / Elof Lindalv), who has scored two of WC's three goals this season.
- Senior Chris Bourque (Batavia, OH/Batavia) finished with seven saves on 10 shots in 75 minutes of action.
Wilmington (1-2) travels to Ada, OH Friday and Saturday for the Ohio Northern Invitational. The Fightin' Quakers play Thomas More 1 p.m. Friday, and will play Kalamazoo 1 p.m. Saturday.