TIFFIN – The Wilmington College baseball team wrapped up the 2017 season by dropping a pair of Ohio Athletic Conference games to Heidelberg Sunday. The twin bill was moved from Saturday due to inclement weather.
GAME ONE: Heidelberg 5, Wilmington 0
- Wilmington had base runners in eight of the nine innings, but was 3-of-19 with runners on base. WC left 13 runners stranded in the loss.
- Over the last four innings, WC had the first batter of each inning reach.
- The Fightin' Quakers had their best chance to score in the sixth inning as the first three batters reached, but a strikeout looking and double play ended the threat.
- Heidelberg took the lead with two runs in the bottom of the first inning, added a single run in the fifth and a pair of runs in the seventh.
- Three players – junior Jake Robinson (Westerville, OH/North), junior Joshua Chua (Lancaster, England/Claremont [CA]) and freshman Shane Hale (New Lebanon, OH/Dixie) – had two hits each of the Fightin' Quakers.
- Junior Tyler McDaniel (Trenton, OH/Edgewood) drew a pair of walks to reach base twice.
- Sophomore Joey Hollback, 0-6, (Salem, OH/Sebring McKinney) took the loss, allowing four earned runs on six hits in six innings of work. He had five strikeouts and five walks.
GAME TWO: HEIDELBERG 5, WILMINGTON 2
- Junior Kyle Short (Trenton, OH/Edgewood) brought home Wilmington's lone runs with a two-run, two-out single in the seventh inning. Sophomore Jake Hyatt (Madeira, OH/Madeira) and Chua, who opened the inning with back-to-back singles, scored on the play.
- Short was the only WC player with multiple hits, going 2-for-3 with two RBI.
- The Student Princes tallied all five of their runs over the course of the first four innings, single runs in the first and third innings, and a three-spot the fourth.
- Freshman Matt Oney, 3-7, (Carlisle, OH/Carlisle) absorbed the defeat, allowing five earned runs on eight hits in five innings of work.
Wilmington finished the season 7-33 overall, 2-16 in the OAC.